Sunday, November 4, 2012

NaNoWriMo Ate My Soul

So as you guys know, I'm participating in NaNoWriMo.

My word count isn't as bad as it has been in the past, it's actually above the requirement for today. (7,097 of 6,668 in case you were wondering.)

However, my characters and novel are beginning to annoy me. Except for the Twins and a character I hadn't even planned on.

I'm floundering. Do I continue with the plot as planned (admittedly, I only have a little bit more planned) or follow this new guy and see what he does? I don't even know how I would get him wrapped up with the Twins as I think he wants to stay unknown, but has only met Sarah-Juliet.

Gah! I don't know. And I feel that others may have the same quandary.

My advice to you is as follows.

Don't sweat the small stuff. 

And during NaNoWriMo, this is small stuff. Focus on your word count goals and the rest will follow. If a character you hadn't planned for makes an appearance, don't edit them out, let them have their say. 

A side character stealing the show? Power to 'em! Follow their story, tell it until it is over. Perhaps there's more to the story than you had suspected, or you weren't telling the right story. 

The plot not heading in the way you planned? Let it. Again, the story you were telling may not be the way it actually happened. Let the characters tell their story. Just get out of the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment